Thursday 8 November 2012

Animation Artwork- Roy Lichtenstein


For my animation project I have chosen this artwork by American pop artist Roy Lichtenstein. I plan to base my animation on my own sitting room at home, and centre it around the theme of my weekend, depicting it in a style similar to Lichtenstein. While Lichtenstein used paint, I plan to use pen and marker in my animation as I find it more convenient and comfortable to use. I have been researching the Ben-Day dot technique which is traditionally associated with print, particularly in the pulp comic books of the 1950's. It is similar to Pointillism, and is comprised of coloured dots which are closely or widely spaced or overlapping, depending on the effect that is desired. Lichtenstein adopted this technique for his own usage, and greatly exaggerated it in his paintings. He used stencils and painted them by hand, a lengthy process that he engaged in to produce an effect very similar to a mechanically produced print. In my animation I hope to explore the use of the Ben-Day dot in a small section, as it is one of the most notable characteristics of Lichtenstein's work.
I plan to enliven the composition by introducing a figure, possibly sitting on the couch, relaxing and engaging in simple tasks such as reading, eating and drinking. The movement will probably be quiet minimal, possibly with a surprising action at the end. I'm not fully clear on how this will come about, or what exactly is going to occur in the animation, but I suppose that is what story-boarding is for!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment